Careers and Opportunities
Higher Education Advice and Guidance
Our Sixth Form team pride ourselves on the support we offer our students in preparing for life after sixth form. Evidence of the quality of advice and guidance we provide can be seen in the fact that over the past five years 98% of our students have gone on to either university, an apprenticeship or full time employment. In terms of university application; last year over 88% of our students gained a place at their first choice university with 30% going to universities rated as being amongst the top 3rd providers. In addition to this several students secured degree level apprenticeships at companies such as PricewaterhouseCoopers.
Support for Higher Education applications starts at the beginning of year 12 when each student is interviewed to ensure that they are studying the right balance of subjects that fit with their future plans. They are also encouraged to take up some of the wide range of extra-curricular opportunities we offer that can make them stand out from other applicants.
Students also take part in three enrichment days where they are supported in researching destinations and preparing their applications. These days involve input from admissions officers from the UEA and Anglia Ruskin and experts in Apprenticeship opportunities who provide first hand guidance as to what they are looking for in student applications. Students are also given an advice booklet and are supported by their tutors, subject teachers and the sixth form team in drafting and redrafting their applications. For students applying to the most competitive universities and courses, mock interviews are arranged with current students or professionals in that field of study.
Both students and parents are also invited to attend an evening events where the University application process and student finance is explained.
Click the link below to download the presentation given to parents in a previous year.
We are proud of the wide variety of opportunities on offer at our sixth form. We strive to develop students’ character by encouraging them to buy in to a culture where sixth formers take the lead in the lower school and wider community. We support students in taking the many extracurricular opportunities on offer and make a positive contribution to their school. In doing so our students can not only leave us with excellent A Level grades but also develop the key transferable skills crucial to their future success.
- Reader Leaders – paired reading with students from years 7-9
- Learning Leaders – supporting the teaching of classes at Key Stage 3 and 4
- Year 11 mentoring – supporting individual year 11 students
- Charitable organisations – the Interact club meet regularly to organise fundraising events for a variety of charities
- Prefects – supporting staff around school and helping younger students
- Sports teams – our extremely successful P.E. department runs a wide range of sport teams for male and female students
- Duke of Edinburgh – complete any award from Bronze to Gold
- A range of opportunities outside of school: Work Experience, Model UN, Insight+, Young Politician Programme
- Support with UCAS and Personal Statements—our sixth form team have a huge amount of experience in helping students prepare their applications for university, apprenticeships and careers